A Guide to Grilling Vegetables
Grilling vegetables delivers tenderness, rich flavors and beautiful caramelization. When grilling your veg a simple marinade or oil and spice mixture can add a lot of depth to the final product and help them cook better.
Quick vegetable grilling tips
- Always lightly oil vegetables before grilling them to prevent them from sticking to the grill.
- Vegetables should be grilled on LOW or MEDIUM-LOW heat
- Take your time grilling most vegetables, it will deliver more diverse flavors
- A roasting topper or basket is an easy way to grill a lot of vegetables all at once
To learn more on how heat affects flavor try this post on The Maillard Reaction.
How to grill vegetables
Our vegetable grilling guide offers the ideal cook time and cook temperature for the perfect vegetable doneness.
Grilling Corn on the Cob
- Do not husk those corn cobs! Do remove the silk at the top and soak the cobs for about 20 minutes.
- Grill the corn at a MEDIUM-LOW temperature for 20-25 minutes, rotating each corn cob frequently
- Don’t worry if the husk starts to blacken; it just means the kernels on the inside are steaming and tenderizing. At higher temperatures grill marks will transfer through the husk to the corn.
- DO NOT husk immediately! Let the cobs cool for 5 to 10 minutes then husk and serve. By this time, the corn silk will be very easy to remove.
- Wipe each mushroom clean with a damp cloth. Don’t rinse them in water; they’ll take on moisture like a sponge. Remove any part of the stem that is dry and woody.
- Toss with seasoned olive oil, vinaigrette or marinade. Mushrooms love rich, dark flavors so try something with soya sauce, garlic and sesame!
- Grill at MEDIUM-LOW for 5-7 minutes.
- Grilled tomatoes are a simple, flavor-packed side that complements almost any dish. Choose a tomato with less juice, like a Roma.
- Slice the tomato in half. If you cut through the diameter of the tomato, you may need to trim the ends so the tomatoes can sit flat on the grill to roast.
- Remove the seeds. Sprinkle salt over the tomatoes to drain them of moisture. Leave for about 10 minutes.
- Season with some olive oil and spice. Grill directly on LOW for 15-20 minutes until softened.
Download the complete guide to grilling vegetables
Get the Guide here >